Monday 28 March 2016

Interior bits and pieces


With the car mechanically running, it was time to make it look good inside! I started with the interior carpets, which turned out not to be my forte. I managed to confuse the two transmission tunnel carpets - not a good idea once you have started cutting. With replacement carpet delivered the job was finished neatly. Unfortunately that's not where my carpet issues ended - I also had an error of judgment when cutting the boot floor carpet to fit around the fuel filler cover - replacement on the way! I had more success with the rubber footwell mats - drilling and fitting poppers to secure. 
Transmission tunnel carpet
Rubber footwell mats - with poppers to hold them in place

Back to the interior of the cabin and the transmission tunnel top was fitted - it is important to get the handbrake vertical for this bit. Following this installation I was able to adjust the handbrake such that three clicks were the extent of travel and locked the rear wheels. 
Transmission tunnel top - looks nice!
Then came fitting the harnesses. The lap belts in the car are easy enough to fit, but they do have a right way up! For the harnesses through the top chassis rail carefully cut holes through the carpet and then the boot cover. When fitting the harness bolts, I greased the interface with the boot cover to prevent twisting on the surface; this worked pretty well. 
Harness bolts sitting nicely through the boot cover
Harnesses looking nice!
Then it was time for seats. I have gone for the leather option and they look pretty sweet nestled in the car. 

Fitting the boot cover is an interesting job. Using masking tape to mark up the locations of the popper bases on the car you can determine where to drill through the boot cover and fit the poppers. The dot fastener type tool is a bit useless really and I tried a few experimental alternatives, with more success. 
Boot cover all poppered in place




No comments:

Post a Comment